Department of Management: Performance Measures
To provide executive level management and oversight to the operating departments, agencies, boards and commissions of the County of Maui as assigned by the Mayor.
Information Technology Services (ITS) Program
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Program
The Department of Management acts as the primary operational management support arm of the county and implements the Mayor's vision in all operating county departments, while also assuring compliance with County Council's budgetary and lawful requirements. The Department oversees the effectiveness of all major strategic initiatives countywide. Additionally, the county provides direct services through Information Technology (IT) services and Geospatial Data services.
The Department of Management supports the following countywide outcome(s):
An Efficient, Effective and Responsive Government
A Strong Diversified Economy
Suitable Public Infrastructure
A Prepared, Safe and Livable County
A Healthy and Sustainable Community
Performance Measures are directly linked to budgetary outcomes. The adjacent chart offers a snapshot of the Department of Management's budget, by program. The Department accounts for approximately 2% of the County's Operating Budget.
FY 2017 Highlights:
In 2017, the Department of Management exceeded a number of success measure estimates. The Department:
- Evaluated the management and performance of agencies finding a combined 90% average grade.
- Met all measures related to the goal of promoting and encouraging renewable energy and energy efficiency throughout county operations.
- Improved workplace safety and security by increasing the percent of county facilities fitted with video surveillance.
- Completed implementation of three new cyber security protection capabilities.
- Met all measures related to the goal of providing a stable financial base for IT through the adoption of a sustainable funding model.
- Exceeded estimates of satisfaction with a 95% client satisfaction rate (within the county) for the Geographic Information Systems Program (GIS).
The best performance measures start conversations about organizational priorities, the allocation of resources, ways to improve performance, and offer an honest assessment of effectiveness.
Breaking Down Performance Measures
So how does the Department of Management measure up? Programs met 12 success measure estimates overall. Additionally, The following chart details the breakdown of the 30 performance success measures for the Department. Each measure of success is categorized as either improving, maintaining, or declining in the past year (FY 2016- FY 2017). Many programs in the department are either improving or maintaining their measured success. Rather than seeing success measures as a static and final indicator, departments use them as continuous gauges and guides for future operation.
Review performance measures for each program below:
Performance Measures provide both overarching goals for programs that adhere to the department's mission, and measurement level numerical data to help departments assess their ability to implement budget dollars effectively and serve the Maui community. The following chart provides an extremely detailed breakdown of the Department's performance measures. Scroll through to explore how the department measures success.