Animal Management Program
The Animal Management Program operates an open admission (accepts all unwanted and stray domestic animals) animal shelter and adoption center and enforces laws and regulations governing animal control and animal management. This program also provides assistance, education and other programs and services that assist with the goals related to animal management. The program serves residents, visitors and domesticated animals on the island of Maui.
Goal #1: Find homes for all healthy and treatable pets and euthanize fewer healthy and treatable animals.
- Increase the % of live dogs and cats released via increased adoptions, reclaims and/or transfers.
- Decrease the % of healthy and treatable pets euthanized annually.
Goal #2: Promote responsible pet ownership by providing programs and services that assist in creating awareness and understanding of caring for pets, and by providing spay/neuter programs to assist pet owners with preventing unwanted litters.
- Increase the # of people provided with direct educational messaging per year by 1,000.
- Increase in total # of spay/neuter surgeries per year.
Goal #3: Provide assistance and support to the community, including investigation and enforcement of animal-related issues, and promote proper identification for all dogs.
- Increase the # of shelter assistance provided annually for unwanted or stray animals.
- Maintain the response rate for calls received annually at 20% or higher.
- Increase the # of dog licenses sold annually.
- Issue citations when needed to ensure compliance with animal- related ordinances.