Immigrant Services Program
The Immigrant Services Division provides a broad spectrum of assistance to immigrants, migrants and citizens, including employment eligibility, citizenship and family-based petitions. Services provided include: Assistance in obtaining immigration benefits, applying for citizenship, maintaining lawful permanent residence, employment eligibility, family reunification, interpretation and translation, reducing impediments to integration, deferred action for childhood arrivals and referral to community based organizations. The division also offers assistance with complex matters in a broad range of areas integral to status, individual, family and community safety.
Goal #1: Assist in preventing unlawful immigration by providing renewal and replacement of green cards, adjustment of status, moving of conditional status, and maintaining employment eligibility.
- Increase the # of people assisted with applications to renew or replace "green cards."
- Increase the # of people assisted with adjustment of status of non-immigrants to immigrants.
- Increase the # of applicants assisted with movement of conditional status to become permanent residents.
- Increase the # of assistance provided to Micronesians to maintain their employment eligibility.
Goal #2: Ensure that immigrants, including non-citizens, participate in county governance by providing assistance for the immigrants to obtain citizenship status and advocate for the right to vote.
- Increase the # of people provided assistance with application for naturalization.
- Increase the # of people provided with preparation assistance in tests and interviews.
- Increase the # of people provided assistance with Requests for Further Evidence (RFE) correspondence.
Goal #3: Promote community membership and civic participation by immigrant communities.
- Increase the # of people provided with assistance in completing initial application.
- Assist with affidavits of support to show that sponsor can provide for intending immigrant.
- Assist petitioners with visa applications.
Goal #4: Promote access to immigration services being offered to immigrant communities, increase public awareness about immigration issues, and signal support for immigrants.
- Conduct outreach and education programs to targeted immigrant communities.
- Conduct outreach programs to broader communities about immigration issues and dispel misconceptions through print or radio advertisements.
- Increase the # of community events participated in annually.
- Provide testimonies at the local, state and federal level about immigration laws and policies that have potential impacts to the County of Maui.