The Housing Program involves the administration of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8 Program), Section 8 Homeownership Option Program, Section 8 Family Self-Sufficiency Program, and Affordable Housing Fund Program. This program is also responsible for the monitoring of affordable housing conditions/requirements imposed by the county, providing technical and financial assistance in the development of affordable housing projects, promoting fair housing, and providing technical assistance to low-income families in securing housing rehabilitation loans and/or grants.
Goal #1: Assist very low and low-income families under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program by providing financial assistance for rent, utility payments, mortgage loan payments or down payment assistance.
- Administer the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program in accordance with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requirements.
- Maintain a rating of 75 (standard) or higher in Section 8 Management Assessment Program rating.
- Increase the # of families provided with financial assistance for rent, utility payments, mortgage loans or down payment annually by three.
Goal #2: Provide affordable housing opportunities for low-income families by leveraging HOME program funds with other public/private funds.
- Complete the processing of projects funded through the HOME Investment Partnerships Program.
Goal #3: Improve affordable housing opportunities provided to the community.
- Increase the county's inventory of affordable housing units.
- Increase home-ownership in the County of Maui.
Goal #4: Promote fair and equal housing opportunities for all residents, and provide services and activities in a nondiscriminatory manner.
- Conduct workshops on the Federal Fair Housing Laws and the State's Residential Landlord-Tenant Code, in partnership with other agencies and/or organizations.
- Increase the # of assistance provided to persons with fair housing and/or landlord-tenant code questions, concerns or issues annually by 20.