Department of Housing & Human Concerns: Performance Measures
To support and enhance the social well-being of the citizens of Maui County.
Human Concerns Program
Animal Management Program
Department goals include supporting and maintaining a continuum of social services to address the needs of the people of Maui County through County sponsored programs and partnerships. Additionally, goals include expanding affordable housing opportunities for low and moderate income families along with supporting the development of special needs housing.
The Department of Housing & Human Concerns supports the following countywide outcome(s):
An Efficient, Effective and Responsive Government
A Strong Diversified Economy
A Prepared, Safe and Livable County
A Healthy and Sustainable Community
Performance Measures are directly linked to budgetary outcomes. The adjacent chart offers a snapshot of the Department's budget, by program. Housing and Human Concerns accounts for approximately 4% of the County's Operating Budget.
FY 2017 Highlights:
In 2017, the Department of Housing & Human Concerns exceeded a number of success measure estimates. The Department:
- Increased the county's inventory of affordable housing units through units approved by County Council (pursuant to Section 201H-038, HRS).
- Increased the number of persons assisted with fair housing and/or landlord-tenant code questions, concerns or issues.
- Met the vast majority of success measures related to promoting the development of Maui County's coordinated early learning and care system.
- Met success measures related to promoting community membership and civic participation by immigrant communities.
- Met 100% of success measures related to empowering older adults to stay healthy, active and socially engaged through public education and outreach.
The best performance measures start conversations about organizational priorities, the allocation of resources, ways to improve performance, and offer an honest assessment of effectiveness.
Breaking Down Performance Measures
So how does the Department of Housing and Human Concerns measure up? Programs met 58 success measure estimates overall. Additionally, The following chart details the breakdown of the 111 performance success measures for the Department, by program. Each measure of success is categorized as either improving, maintaining, or declining in the past year (FY 2016- FY 2017). The majority of programs in the department are either improving or maintaining their measured success. Rather than seeing success measures as a static and final indicator, departments use them as continuous gauges and guides for future operation.
Learn more about performance measures for each Housing and Human Concerns Program:
Performance Measures provide both overarching goals for programs that adhere to the department's mission, and measurement level numerical data to help departments assess their ability to implement budget dollars effectively and serve the Maui community. The following chart provides an extremely detailed breakdown of the Department's performance measures. Scroll through to explore even further how the department measures success.