The mission of the Budget Office is to be a knowledgeable, skilled resource to the Mayor, County Council and departments on how to wisely use public resources for the benefit of all Maui County citizens by analyzing, developing and carrying out various fiscal, programmatic and regulatory policies.
Read below to learn more about goals, objectives and how the program measures success.
Goal #1: Provide the highest quality budget management for the county to protect its fiscal integrity.
- Develop a financially sound budget by improving the use and control of operating and capital budget resources.
Goal #2: Provide useful, accurate and timely information to internal customers for decision-making relative to planning, implementation, and assessment of the county’s operating and capital budgets.
- Develop new operating budget and performance management systems to provide more timely, accurate and useful information to internal customers and to reduce the number of working hours spent by Budget Office staff members in preparation of the annual Mayor’s Budget Proposal documents.
- Develop a revenue and expenditures forecasting system for internal customers to provide reports and analysis for planning, budgeting and decision-making purposes.
Goal #3: Enhance community access to reliable budget information regarding county programs and capital projects.
- Provide public with budget summary or synopsis.
Goal #4: Attract and retain highly qualified and energetic individuals to carry out the mission of the Budget Office.
- Develop, improve and/or maintain the professional skills of all employees at a high level through such activities as attendance at workshops, seminars, and conferences.