OED's Agriculture program is a sub-program under the Economic Development Program. This sub-program promotes the expansion of the local farming community to create and more sustainable food supply system for Maui County, and assists all agriculture sectors to grow, thrive and innovate. OED is an advocate for progressive agriculture initiatives.
Goal #1: Encourage, develop and support the next generation of farmers.
- Encourage and support Future Farmers of America (FFA) programs in Maui County high schools.
- Encourage and support young farmer mentoring programs with assistance from UH Maui College.
Goal #2: Improve and expand on infrastructure that enables local farming in the Kula Agricultural Park.
- Secure funds for design plans for a new intake site from park expansion appropriations.
- Release of RFP for design plans to replace 4 existing water pumps servicing the Kula Agricultural Park.
- Work on land acquisition to expand to the Kula Agricultural Park.
- Secure replacement parts for existing water pumps at the Kula Agricultural Park.