Recreation and Support Services Program
The Recreation and Support Services Program provides recreational and daily maintenance support services for all districts in the County of Maui: Central Maui, East Maui, West Maui, South Maui, Hana, Lanai and Molokai. A variety of recreation programs are provided at beach areas, community parks, community centers, gymnasiums, sports fields, tennis and basketball courts, children’s playgrounds, skate parks, pools and picnic areas. It also provides lifeguard services, including rescues, first aid and water safety awareness programs at county swimming pools while facilitating aquatics-oriented recreational programs such as Learn-to-Swim, age-group swimming and diving, exercise and therapeutic classes, water safety and first aid certification classes and conducting in-service training for county lifeguards to keep water safety skills and certifications up-to-date. Grounds keeping and custodial services for parks and facilities are also provided.
The PALS (Play and Learn Sessions) section provides quality cultural and recreational programming for children ages 5 to 12 during the summer and intersession periods for all schools. The PALS Food Service Program is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and administered by the Department of Education Office of Hawaii Child Nutrition Programs. To participate in this program, PALS applied and met standards set by the USDA. The PALS program qualified under the area eligibility category.
Goal #1: Delivery of current key commitments.
- Improve facility maintenance.
- Improve youth programs.
- Maintain and enhance safety in swimming pools by participating in safety programs, presentations, public outreach and annual educational programs.
- Provide pertinent training to all personnel.
- Implement its Preventive Maintenance Program while promoting energy-efficient measures at all pool facilities.
- Provide a safe and nurturing environment as well as quality recreation services during the summer and school year break periods by seeking quality services and accountability of program staff thereby increasing the satisfaction of all program participants.
- Emphasize the cultural and recreational skills that reflect our diverse island culture for all program participants by increasing the emphasis on creative cultural-related curriculum and sportsmanship training for all program staff.
Goal #2: Identify Plan for New Strategic Initiatives.
- Programming improvement.