Development Services Administration: General Fund, Revolving Fund, Construction Plan Review
The Development Services Administration (DSA) Program is primarily responsible for the administration of subdivision, building, electrical, plumbing, grading, driveway, roadway and other construction codes. It also provides staff support for the Public Works Commission and the Board of Variances and Appeals.
General Fund Goals
Goal #1: Respond to public inquiries effectively.
- Minimize the # of business days taken to create a Request for Services (RFS) submitted in person or by mail.
- Conduct investigations for grading and drainage issues and compliance with building, electrical and plumbing codes as requested through RFS within five business days or less from the date of request.
- Furnish copies of Building Permits and Certificate of Occupancy as requested via RFS within five business days or less from the date of request.
Goal #2: Enhance employee capability and effectiveness by continuing staff education and training.
- Provide more training, workshops and seminars for employees on new codes and related regulations to improve efficiency and performance.
The Development Services Administration collects a plan review fee from each building permit applicant. The fees are used to facilitate the building permit process. The program performs plan check and inspection services as well as permit clerk services, which include distribution, monitoring of permit status and maintaining the permit tracking system.
Goal #1: Process building, electrical and plumbing permit applications efficiently.
- Review building permit applications for building code compliance and respond to applicants with concise and clear information within 15 business days or less.
- Conduct final review of approved building permit applications for outstanding requirements within five business days or less.
- Issue electrical and plumbing permits within 30 days after application is deemed complete as mandated by the Maui County Code.
Goal #2: Provide expert inspection services as required by the Maui County Code.
- Conduct thorough code inspections within two working days of the requested inspection date for building, electrical and plumbing permits.
Goal #3: Enhance employees’ capabilities and effectiveness by continuing staff education and training.
- Provide Opportunities for employees to attend workshops and seminars on new codes and related regulations.