The Engineering Program provides engineering and inspection services to plan, design and construct highway, drainage and bridge improvements for the County of Maui. The program implements drainage and traffic master plans for the county, performs survey and land acquisition functions and reviews subdivision and construction plans.
Goal #1: Establish an eco-friendly transportation system to enhance non-motorized transportation infrastructure which will promote health and wellness and reduce the county's dependence on fossil fuel.
- Increase alternative, non-motorized modes of transportation.
Goal #2: Provide routine maintenance by resurfacing, reconstructing, rehabilitating or preserving county roads and bridges to ensure accessibility and a safe riding surface.
- Rehabilitate and maintain county road and bridge infrastructure on a regular basis to maximize lifespan of such infrastructure.
- Conduct assessment of pavement conditions annually to identify maintenance measure.
Goal #3: Identify and resolve traffic congestion and safety issues to address capacity and circulation issues.
- Install additional lineage, create acceleration/deceleration turning lanes and provide traffic control devices at major intersections and crosswalks.
Goal #4: Provide maintenance services to county facilities and equipment under department's jurisdiction so that all facilities are safe and attractive.
- Respond to all building maintenance work order requests within 24 hours.